Overdraft Coverage Options
Overdraft Protection and Overdraft Privilege for Your Business
Life happens! At Crews Bank & Trust, we understand that from time to time you may unexpectedly overdraft your account. Returned checks can be costly, but you have options for covering unexpected overdrafts. Overdraft Coverage can help.
Consider these ways to cover overdrafts:
Establish Overdraft Protection.
This is your least costly way to cover overdrafts. With this option, overdrafts will be transferred and there is a $3 OD Sweep Fee (per transfer) for the transfer to cover the overdraft. You simply link your Business Checking account to another deposit account you have with us. Call us at 888-406-2220, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or come by a branch to sign up or apply for this service.
Utilize your Overdraft Privilege.
This service lets you overdraft your account up to the disclosed limit for a $33 per Overdraft Item Fee to pay for the transaction. Even if you have Overdraft Protection, Overdraft Privilege is available as secondary coverage if the other protection is exhausted.
All eligible business accounts have Extended Overdraft Privilege Coverage, which covers all transaction types listed below:
What Else You Should Know
- A link to another account is the least expensive option to cover an overdraft. You must sign up for this service. There is a $3 OD Sweep Fee (per transfer) for the transfer to cover the overdraft.
- A single larger overdraft will result in just one fee, as opposed to multiple smaller overdrafts. Good account management is the best way to avoid overdrafts. Use our Mobile Banking, Online Banking, and Telephone Banking services to monitor your balance. For additional financial education resources, please visit mymoney.gov.
- Businesses are charged an Overdraft Item Fee of $33 each time an overdraft is paid on the account. This is the same fee that is charged for items returned to the payee due to insufficient funds. If multiple items overdraw your account on the same day, each item will be assessed an Overdraft Item Fee or Return Item fee of $33. Your account may become overdrawn in excess of the Overdraft Privilege Limit amount as a result of the assessment of a fee or fees. We may use the terms “item” and “transaction” interchangeably.
- We generally post items throughout the day. The following explains how items are posted (However, because of the many ways we allow you to access your account, the posting order of individual items may differ from these general policies. Holds on funds (described herein) and the order in which transactions are posted may affect the total amount of Overdraft Item Fees or Return Item Fees assessed):
- Credits before debits
- Checks in check number order
- ATM, ACH, and debit card transactions from lowest to highest by dollar amount
- Crews Bank & Trust will not authorize debit card or ATM transactions unless there are sufficient available funds (including Overdraft Coverage options) to cover the transactions and the amount of any fee(s). Although under payment system rules, Crews Bank & Trust may be obligated to pay some debit card transactions that did not follow normal authorization rules.
- With Overdraft Privilege (Extended Coverage), we will pay everyday debit card and ATM overdrafts. However, this may result in you incurring Overdraft Item Fees for transactions that we would otherwise be required to pay without assessing an Overdraft Item Fee. Extended Coverage allows us to authorize transactions up to the amount of your Overdraft Privilege Item and may help you avoid overdrafts in excess of your available balance that could result in the suspension of your debit card.
- Crews Bank & Trust authorizes and pays transactions using the available balance in your account. Crews Bank & Trust may place a hold on deposited funds in accordance with our Deposit Account Agreement and Disclosure, which will reduce the amount in your available balance. The available balance for checks, ACH items, and recurring debit card transactions is comprised of the ledger balance, less any holds on deposited funds and any debit card holds, plus the amount of the Overdraft Privilege Limit and any available Overdraft Protection. For accounts with Extended Coverage, the Overdraft Privilege Limit is included in the available balance for authorizing ATM and everyday debit card transactions.
- Please be aware that the Overdraft Privilege amount is not included in your available balance provided through Online Banking, Mobile Banking, Telephone Banking, or Crews Bank & Trust ATMs.
- Crews Bank & Trust will place a hold on your account for any authorized debit card transaction until the transaction settles (usually within two business days) or as permitted by payment system rules. In some cases, the hold may exceed the amount of the transaction. When the hold ends, the funds will be added to the available balance in your account. If your account is overdrawn after the held funds are added to the available balance and the transaction is posted to the available balance, an Overdraft Item Fee may be assessed.
- Except as described herein, Crews Bank & Trust will not pay items if your account does not contain available funds (including the Overdraft Privilege Limit) to cover the item(s) and the amount of any fee(s).
- Crews Bank & Trust may suspend your debit card if you incur overdrafts in excess of the available funds in your account, including any Overdraft Privilege Limit (as described herein). Debit cards on your account will remain suspended until you make sufficient deposits so that your available balance (taking into account any Overdraft Privilege Limit) is positive and you contact us.
- Crews Bank & Trust may also suspend your debit card if your account is overdrawn more than thirty-two (32) consecutive calendar days. Debit cards on your account will remain suspended until you make sufficient deposits so that your account balance is positive and then you contact us.
- Crews Bank & Trust may also suspend your debit card if we are unable to contact you due to an incorrect mailing address or phone number(s). You must contact us with your correct mailing address and/or phone number(s) to have your debit card reinstated.
- If your debit card is suspended, you will be unable to use your debit card for purchases or to access your account at the ATM, and if you use your debit card for recurring payments, e.g., utilities, you are responsible to make other arrangements for your recurring debit payment(s).
- An Overdraft Privilege Limit of $1,000 will be granted at account opening to eligible Business Checking accounts.
- Overdraft Privilege is not a line of credit. It is a discretionary overdraft service that can be withdrawn at any time without prior notice.
- Overdraft Privilege may be discontinued if you default on any loan or other obligation to us, your account becomes subject to any legal or administrative order or levy, or if you fail to maintain your account in good standing by not bringing your account to a positive balance within thirty-two (32) consecutive calendar days for a minimum of one business day. You must bring your account balance positive for at least one business day to have Overdraft Privilege reinstated.
- Depositor and each authorized signatory will continue to be liable, jointly and severally, for all overdraft and fee amounts, as described in the Deposit Account Agreement and Disclosure. The total negative balance, including all fees and charges, is due and payable upon demand.
On Our Minds
Chart of the Day: Mega-Cap Tech for the Win
September 27, 2023
Today’s Chart of the Day shared by @KobeissiLetter on X, formerly known as Twitter, shows that seven companies, often called “The Magnificent Seven”...
Chart of the Day: Existing Equal to New
September 26, 2023
Today’s Chart of the Day from The Kobeissi Letter, @KobeissiLetter on X, shows that the prices of new homes are falling and are now the same price as...
Choose Local: 10 Benefits of Community Banks
September 21, 2023
Community banks are threaded into the local economy of many towns in the country. By serving the local residents and businesses with necessary...